Steven L. Wolf, PhD, PT, FAPTA, FAHA
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
Program in Restorative Neurology (PROREN)
- BA, Clark University, 1965
- MS, Boston University, 1969
- MS, Emory University, 1972
- PhD, Emory University, 1973
- Emory University School of Medicine Shur Award, 2015
- American Society for Neurorehabilitation (ASNR) designated Fellow, 2015
- APTA Neurology Section Ann Shumway-Cook Lecturer, 2014
- Sister Kenny Foundation Rita Kaplan Lectureship, 2011
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Tay Gavin Erickson Lecturer, 2011
- Disability and Rehabilitation Research Coalition, 2010-11
- Arizona State University Evelyn Smith Visiting Professorship 2010-11
- Northwestern University Kaleckas Lecturer, 2010
- APTA “Living Legend” Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- John J.H. Maley Award for Leadership in Physical Therapy Research, 2008
- Allergan, Inc. Excellence in Innovation Speaker, 2007
- University of Oklahoma Health Science Center James “Joe” Johnson Lecturer, 2007
- Institute for Advanced Study Senior Research Fellowship, 2005
- Who's Who in Medical Sciences Education, 2005
- Otago-Southland Trust Fellow, 2003
- APTA Mary McMillan Lecturer, 2002
- Emory University Lester A. Duplechan Award for Outstanding Mentoring of PM&R Residents, 1999
- Dr. Steven Wolf Appreciation Day, Outstanding Contributions to Rehabilitation in Georgia: Warner-Robbins, GA, 1998
- APTA Neurology Section Outstanding Researcher Award, 1998
- APTA Section on Geriatrics Outstanding published paper award, 1997
- APTA Lucy Blair Service Award, 1996
- Washington University Steven J. Rose Memorial Lectureship, 1994
- APTA Helen J. Hislop Award for Excellence in Contributions to Professional Literature, 1993
- Association of Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback President, 1991-92
- APTA Section on Clinical Electrophysiology Distinguished Service Award, 1990
- Foundation for Physical Therapy Robert C. Bartlett Recognition Award, 1989
- APTA Catherine Worthingham Fellow, 1987
- Who's Who in the Behavioral Sciences, 1985
- Men of Achievement, 1984
- Physical Therapy Association of Georgia Georgia Merit Award, 1983
- APTA Golden Pen Award, 1983
- APTA Marian Williams Award for Research, 1980
- American Academy of Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of University Professors
- American Physical Therapy Association
- American Society of Neurorehabilitation
- Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions
- Biofeedback Society of America
- Geriatrics Society of America
- International Society of Electrokinesiology
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society of North American
- Society for Behavioral Kinesiology
- Society for Neuroscience
Publications - Referred
- Jones K, Bhattacharjee R, Krishnamurthi R, Blanton S, Theadom A, Baker-Collo S, Thrift AG, Parmar P, Maujean A, Rnata A, Balalla S, Mackay-Lyons M, Saposnik G, Obiako R, Langhorne P, Taylor D. Wolf SL, Norrving B, Pandian JD, Borstein N, Ramni NV, Brown N, Btrainin M, Arora D, Kurana D, Sanya EO, Feigin VL on behalf of the SMART Study Group. An observational learning approach to community-based stroke rehabilitation: A pilot randomized controlled trial. J Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease, 2016, submitted for publication.
- Edwardson MA, Wang X, Liu B, Ding L, Lane CJ, Park C, Nelsen MA, Wolf SL, Winstein CJ, Dromerick AW: Infarct volume and vascular territory characterization for participants in the ICARE upper extremity stroke rehabilitation trial. Stroke, 2015, submitted for publication.
- Butler AJ, Kallos J, Housley S, LaPlaca M, Traynelis SF, Wolf SL: Randomized, placebo-cointrolled, double-blind pilot study of D-cycloserine in chronic stroke. Rehabilitation Research and Practice. 2015, accepted for publication.
- Turton AJ, Cunningham P, van Wijck F, Smartt HJM, Rogers C, Sackley CM, Jowett S, Wolf SL, Wheatley K, van Vliet P: Home-based reach-to-grasp training for people after stroke is feasible: a randomised controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation, 2015, submitted for publication.
- Wolf SL, Kwakkel G, Bayley M, McDonnell MN: Best practice for arm recovery post stroke: An international application. Physiotherapy, 2015,. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2015.08.007
- Baran M, Lehrer N, Duff M, Venkataraman V, Turaga P, Rymer WZ, Wolf SL, Rikakis T: Minimally supervised mixed reality stroke rehabilitation: A pilot study. J Neurorehabilitation Engineering, 2015, submitted for publication.
- Winstein CJ, Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Lane CJ, Nelsen MA, Lewthwaite R, Cen SY, Azen SP: Impact of dose and content on arm rehabilitation after stroke: The ICARE Trial. JAMA, 2015, submitted for publication.
- Hall CD, Clevenger CK, Lin JS, Johnson TM, Wolf SL: Feasibility of a low-cost, interactive gaming system to assess balance in older women. J Aging and Physical Activity, 2015, accepted for publication.
- Hackney ME, Hall CD, Echt KV, Wolf SL: Multimodal exercise benefits mobility in older adults with visual impairment: A preliminary study. J Aging Phys Activity. 2015; PMID 25562206
- Liebeskind DS, Albers GW, Crawford K, Dedeyn CP, George MS, Palesch YY, Toga AW, Warach S, Zhao W, Brott TG, Sacco RL, Khatri P, Saver JL, Cramer SC, Wolf SL, Broderick JP, Wintermark M: Stroke, 2015, Imaging in StrokeNet: Realizing the potential of big data, 2015, Jun 4. pii: STROKEAHA.115.009479.] PMID:26045600
Publications - Nonreferred
- Lin K-C, Wu C-Y, Wolf SL, Chan C, Lin C-P: Guest Editorial for special issue of Brain and Behavioral Plasticity: Brain and Behavioral Plasticity: From Fundamental Science to Health Outcomes. Neuroplasticity[SLW1] , vol. 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/985790, 2015.
- Wolf SL. Kwakkel G, Bayley M, McDonnell M: Best practice for arm recovery post-stroke: An international application. Physiotherapy, 2015, (5) 101, Supplement[SLW1] 1, e22-e23.
- Van Vliet P, Pomeroy PM, Wolf SL, Kwakkel G: Time to empower people with stroke. J. Neurologic Physical Therapy, 2015, 39(3),:139-141. DOI: 10.1097/NPT 00000000000000089[SLW1] .
- Wolf SL: Foreword in, A Comprehensive Guide to Geriatric Rehabilitation (Eds., Kauffman TL, Scott R, Barr JP, Moran M:.Churchill-Livingstone, Elsevier: New York, 2014, xv[SLW1] .
- Wolf SL: Exploring the future of neurologic physical therapy. J Neurologic Physical Therapy, 2015, 39(1):1-2[SLW1] .
- Wolf SL: A changing landscape for science and technology: Potential impact on PT practice and health policy. Physical Therapy Journal of Policy, Administration and Leadership, 2014; 14(8): 31[SLW1] .
- Venkataraman V, Turaga P, Lehrer N, Baran M, Rikakis T, Wolf SL: Attractor-shape for dynamical analysis of human movement: Applications in stroke rehabilitation and action recognition. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), 2013.
- Lan C, Wolf SL, Tsang WWN (Eds): “Tai Chi Chuan”, Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/653437.
- Wolf SL: FiRST and Foremost: Advances in Science and Technology Impacting Neurologic Physical Therapy. J Neurological Physical Therapy, Dec, 2013; 37(4):147-8. doi: 10.1097/NPT.
- Ambrosio F, Trumbower R, Wolf SL, Wagner W: Regenerative Medicine and the Role of Physical Therapy (An Independent Study Course), 38 pp, American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria, VA, 2013.
- Rothstein JR, Roy S, Wolf SL: The Handbook for Rehabilitation Specialists. FA Davis: Philadelphia, 1991; second edition, 1997; third edition, 2006; fourth edition (Roy, Wolf Scalzitti), 2013.
- Kasman G, Wolf SL: Surface EMG Made Easy: A Beginner’s Guide for Rehabilitation Clinicians, Noraxon USA, Inc: Scottsdale, AZ, 2002.
- Kasman G, Cram J, Wolf SL: EMG Applications to Patients with Musculoskeletal Disorders; Aspen: Gaithersburg:Maryland, 1997.
- Fletcher GF, Jann B, Banja J, Wolf SL (Eds): Rehabilitation Medicine: State of the Art, Lea & Febiger, 1992.
- Rothstein JR, Roy S, Wolf SL: The Handbook for Rehabilitation Specialists. FA Davis: Philadelphia, 1991; second edition, 1997; third edition, 2006.
- Basmajian JV, Wolf SL (eds.): Therapeutic Exercise, 5th Ed., Williams and Wilkins: Baltimore, 1990.
- Wolf SL, Sandweiss J (Eds.): Biofeedback and Sports Science, Plenum Press, 1985.
- Wolf SL (Ed): Clinical Decision Making in Physical Therapy. F.A. Davis: Philadelphia, 1983.
- Wolf SL (ed.): Electrotherapy, Vol. 2, Clinics in Physical Therapy, Churchill Livingstone, Inc., New York, 1981.
- Van Vliet P, Cunningham P, Can Wijck F, Sackley C, Rogers C, Wolf S, Jowett S, Wheatley K, Turton A: Home-based reach-to-grasp training for people after stroke: a feasibility randomised controlled trial. WCPT, May 4, 2015.
- Sackley C, van Wijck F, Cunningham P, Turton A, Rogers C, Wolf S, Jowett S, Wheatley K, van Vliet P: Home-based reach-to-grasp training for people after stroke: A feasibility randomised controlled trial. European Stroke Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, April 16, 2015.
- Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Lane CJ, Nelsen MA, Lewthwaite R, Cen SY, Azen SP, Winstein CJ: ICARE: Primary Results: A Phase III Stroke Rehabilitation Trial. International Stroke Conference, Nashville TN, Feb 11-13, 2015.
- Cramer SC, See J, Aizik S, Shahbaba B, Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Winstein CJ: Genetic factors and motor status after stroke. International Stroke Conference, Nashville TN, Feb11-13, 2015.
- Stahl V, Hayes HB, Wolf SL, Trumbower RD: Quantifying altered neuromuscular coordination during hand opening in persons with incompletes cervical spinal cord injury. Trans IEEE, San Francisco, CA, June 10-14, 2014.
- Nelson MA, Park C, Lane CJ, Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Winstein CJ: Effective pre-planned selection to optimize heterogeneity in the interdisciplinary comprehensive arm rehabilitation evaluation (ICARE) multi-site trial, International Stroke Conference, February 13, 2014, San Diego, CA.
- Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Nelsen MA, Hahn C, Park C, Azen SP, Winstein CJ: Interdisciplinary comprehensive arm rehabilitation evaluation (ICARE): a randomized control trial, International Stroke Conference, February 13, 2014, San Diego, CA.
- Butler A, Kallos J, LaPlaca M, Ressler K, Traynelis SF, Wolf SL: Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind pilot study of d-cycloserine in chronic stroke. APTA CSM meeting, Las Vegas NV, February 2014.
- K. Jones, R. Krishnamurthi, A. Theadom, R. Bhatterchargee, S. Barker-Collo, Y. Ratnasabapathy, A, Ranta, E. Kendall, A. Maujean, C. Ehrlich, S. Wolf, S. Blanton, A. Thrift, D. Cadilhac, M. MacKay-Lyons, M. Mehndiratta, J. Pandian, P. Langhorne, A. Anand, D. Kurana, D. Taylor, R. Linley, N. Bornstein, M. Brainin, B. Norrving, G. Saposnik, N. Ramani, F. Abdala, V. Feigin on behalf of the SMART research group. Stroke Self-Management Rehabilitation Trial (SMART-DVD): An International, Multi-Site Pilot Trial. Third International Conference on Neurology and Epidemiology, Abu Dhabi, November 21, 2013.
- Winstein CJ, Wolf SL, Dromerick AW, Blanton S, Lane CJ, Leuthwaite R, Scott C, Cen S., Holly R, Janis S: Interdisciplinary Comprehensive Arm Rehabilitation Evaluation (ICARE): a randomized controlled trial. ISC 2013, February 6-7, Honolulu, HI.