Wei Huang, MD, PhD
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
Atlanta VA Medical Center
Birmingham/Atlanta VA Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center
- Advanced Certificate in Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Chinese Medical College of Shanghai, 1989
- MD, Shanghai Medical University, 1990
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 1996
- Residency, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2004
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly Best Neurological Rehabilitation Research Poster Presentation, 2012
- Emory University School of Medicine Department of Rehabilitation Medicine Robert L. Bennett MD Award for Teaching Excellence in Physiatry, 2010
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Resident of the Year, 2004
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association of Chinese Rehabilitation Physicians
- American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine
Long-term interest of research is to integrate complementary and alternative medicine in patient-centered care involving multiple discipline approaches, to ultimately enhance care quality and decrease healthcare expenditure. My current research focuses on the efficacy of acupuncture and its possible mediating factor in improving sleep, pain, and anxiety in TBI veterans.
- Halpin S, Huang W, Perkins M. Comparisons between body needle acupuncture, auricular acupuncture, and auricular magnet therapy. American Acupuncturist. Epub August 12, 2015 http://www.aaaomonline.org
- Zhou M, Peng N, Dai Q, Li HW, Shi RG, Huang W. 2015; Effect of Tai Chi on muscle strength of the lower extremities in the elderly. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. May 27 [Epub ahead of print]
- Halpin S, Huang W, Perkins M. 2014; Physicians’ influence on veterans’ decision to use acupuncture. Patient Education and Counseling. 97(2): 211-5. Epub 2014 July 22.
- Halpin S, Perkins M, Huang W. 2014; Determining attitudes towards acupuncture: a focus on older U.S. veterans. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 20(2): 118-22.
- Sinkiewicz M, Huang W. 2013; Osteopathic manipulative therapy on cervicogenic headache in veterans with mild traumatic brain injury – a case series. International Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Epub: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/jpmr.1000123.
- Huang W, Kutner N, Bliwise DL. 2013; Complexity of sham acupuncture. JAMA Internal Medicine. 173(8): 713.
- Huang W, Bliwise DL, Johnson TM II, Long Q, Kutner N, Stringer AY. 2013; Correlates of persistent sleep complaint after traumatic brain injury. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 23(5): 698-714.
- Huang W, Woodby L, Lee L, Johnson TM II. 2013; Providing an alternative treatment modality for veterans - establishing and evaluating an acupuncture clinic in a VA medical center. Federal Practitioner. Feature Article, 30(4): 12-22.
- Huang W, Shah S, Long Q, Crankshaw AK, Tangpricha V. 2013; Improvement of pain, sleep, and quality of life in chronic pain patients with vitamin D supplementation. Clinical Journal of Pain, 29(4):341-7; Epub June 2012.
- Huang W, Kutner N, Bliwise DL. 2011; Autonomic activation in insomnia: the case for acupuncture. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 7(1): 95-102.
- Guo J, Huang W, Tang CY, Wang GL, Zhang F, Wang LP. Effect of acupuncture on sleep quality and hyperarousal state in patients with primary insomnia : study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMJ. Submitted on 8/10/2015 (bmjopen-2015-009594). Under review.
- Huang W, Halpin S, Perkins M. A case series of auricular acupuncture in a veteran population using a revised auricular mapping-diagnostic paradigm (RAMP-uP). Complementary Therapies in Medicine. Submitted on 1/7/2015 (CTIM-D-15-00017). Under review.
- Huang W, Kutner N, Bliwise DL. 2009; A systematic review of the effects of acupuncture in treating insomnia. Sleep Medicine Review. 13:73-104.
Published Abstracts, Proceedings
- Huang W, Ebner FF. The influence of early whisker sensory deprivation on cortical plasticity in the adult rat. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 1995; 21: 2097.
- Rema V, Huang W, Ebner FF. Effect of prenatal ethanol exposure on postnatal expression of glutamate receptors and physiological responses in barrel field cortex. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 1995; 21: 123.
- Huang W, Armstrong-James M, Lu SM, Diamond ME, Ebner FF. The role of rat supragranular cortex in layer IV plasticity after whisker-pairing. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 1994; 20: 1384.
- Ebner FF, Lu S-M, Rema V, Huang W, Armstrong-James M, Banerjee A. Localization of NMDAR1 subunit in rat layer IV barrel cells. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 1994; 20: 1384.
- Huang W. Integrative holistic medicine for PM&R (Editorial). International Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. http://omicsonline.org/open-access/integrative-holistic-medicine-in-pm-2329-9096.1000e108.php?aid=36991
- Huang W. July 2013 What should be the essence of cardiac rehabilitation? (Editorial) International Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2329-9096.S1-e001.
- Cai C, Yang WB, Zhou LQ, Huang W, Yue JJ (2010). In Yue JJ, Guyer RD, Johnson JP, Khoo LT, and Hochschuler SH(Ed) The Comprehensive Treatment of the Aging Spine - Minimally Invasive and Advanced Techniques. Chapter 20: Acupuncture in treatment of aging spine related pain conditions. Philadelphia: Elsevier. Pages110-114.
- Huang W, Fann A, Zhou LQ, Yang WB, Cai C, Yue JJ (2010). In Yue JJ, Guyer RD, Johnson JP, Khoo LT, and Hochschuler SH(Ed) The Comprehensive Treatment of the Aging Spine - Minimally Invasive and Advanced Techniques. Chapter 21: Tai Chi, Qi Gong and other complementary alternative therapies for the treatment of the aging spine and chronic pain. Philadelphia: Elsevier. Pages 115-119.