Nancy Kutner, PhD
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
- BA, Oberlin College, 1960
- MA, University of North Carolina, 1962
- PhD, University of North Carolina, 1965
- Behavioral and Social Science in Medicine: Principles and Practice of Biopsychosocial Care Invited contributor (Kidney Diseases), 2014-present
- ESRD Functional Status Technical Expert Panel Invited Member, 2014-15
- Kidney International TOP TEN Article, 2009
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society Best Paper in the 1990s, 2003
- Gerontological Society of America Elected Fellow, 2001
- Southern Sociological Society Award of Excellence, Presidential Poster Session, 2001
- American Nephrology Nurses’ Association Research Award, Journal Writing, 2000
- PT Association Excellence in Research Award, Geriatrics, 1997
- Society of Nephrology Blue Ribbon Abstract, 1996
- National Kidney Foundation of Georgia Health Advancement Award, 1991
- National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging Travel Award, 1990
- American Council of Learned Societies Travel Award, 1990
- National Kidney Foundation of Georgia Georgia Research Award, 1983
- UNC-Chapel Hill Department of Sociology Howard W. Odum Memorial Award, 1963
- Oberlin College Dean's List, 1960
- American Association of Kidney Patients (Life Member)
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Sociological Association
- Gerontological Society of America
Functioning and health-related quality of life in chronic illness and aging, especially chronic kidney disease. Psychosocial dimensions of rehabilitation; gender, race, and age variations in the chronic illness experience; health disparities.
- Hedayati, SS, Daniel DM, Cohen S, Comstock B, Cukor D, Diaz-Linhart Y, Dember LM, Dubovsky A, Greene T, Grote N, Heagerty P, Katon W, Kimmel PL, Kutner N, Linke L, Quinn D, Rue T, Trivedi MH, Unruh M, Weisbord S, Young BA, Mehrotra R. 2016. Rationale and design of A trial of Sertraline vs. Cognitive behavioral therapy for End-stage renal disease patients with Depression (ASCEND). Contemporary Clinical Trials 47:1-11.
- Kutner NG, Zhang R, Huang Y, Painter PL. 2015. Gait speed and mortality, hospitalization and functional status change among hemodialysis patients: a US Renal Data System special study. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 66(2): 297-304.
- Abreo AP, Herzog CA, Kutner NG, Lea J, Johansen KL. 2015. Estimated pulmonary artery systolic pressure and self-reported physical function in patients on hemodialysis. American Journal of Nephrology 41 (4-5):313-319.
- Patzer RE, Mohan S, Kutner N, McClellan WM, Amaral S. 2015. Racial disparities in pediatric renal allograft survival in the United States. Kidney International 87:584-592.
- Bowling CB, Zhang R, Franch H, Huang Y, Mirk A, McClellan W, Johnson TM II, Kutner NG. 2015. Underreporting of nursing home utilization on the CMS-2728 in older incident dialysis patients and implications for assessing mortality risk. BMC Nephrology 16:3.
- Abreo AP, Glidden D, Painter P, Lea J, Herzog C, Kutner NG, Johansen KL. 2014. Association of physical function with predialysis blood pressure in hemodialysis patients. BMC Nephrology 15:177.
- Bliwise DL, Zhang RH, Kutner NG. 2014. Medications associated with restless legs syndrome: A case control study in the United States Renal Data System (USRDS). Sleep Medicine 15(10):1241-1245.
- Kutner NG, Zhang R, Huang Y, McClellan WM, Soltow QA, Lea J. 2014. Risk factors for frailty in a large prevalent cohort of hemodialysis patients. American Journal of the Medical Sciences 348(4):277-282.
- Kutner NG, Zhang R, Huang Y, Wasse H. 2014. Gait speed and hospitalization among ambulatory hemodialysis patients: USRDS special study data. World Nephrology Journal 3(3):101-106.
- Delgado C, Ward P, Chertow GM, Storer L, Dalrynple L, Block T, Kaysen GA, Kornak J, Grimes B, Kutner NG, Johansen KL. 2014. Calibration of the Brief Food Frequency Questionnaire among patients on dialysis. Journal of Renal Nutrition 24(3):151-156.
- Kutner NG. 2010. Rehabilitation in the renal population: barriers to access. Seminars in Nephrology 30(1):59-65.
- Kutner NG, Johansen KL. 2009. How can the outcomes in elderly dialysis patients be improved? Targeting inactivity, falls, and mobility deficits. Seminars in Dialysis 22:34-36.
- Huang W, Kutner N, Bliwise DL. 2009. A systematic review of the effects of acupuncture in treating insomnia. Sleep Medicine Reviews 13:73-104.
- Kutner NG. 2008. Promoting functioning and well-being in older CKD patients: Review of recent evidence. International Urology and Nephrology 40:1151-1158.
- Kutner NG. 2007. How can exercise be incorporated into the routine care of patients on dialysis? International Urology and Nephrology 39(4):1281-1285.
- Kutner NG. 2004. Quality of life and daily hemodialysis. Seminars in Dialysis 17(2):92-98.
- Kutner NG, Jassal SV. 2002. Quality of life and rehabilitation of elderly dialysis patients. Seminars in Dialysis 15(3): 107-112.
- Kutner NG. 2001. Improving compliance in dialysis patients: Does anything work? Seminars in Dialysis 14(5):324-327.
- Kutner NG, Jann BB. 1998. Rehabilitation medicine and dialysis patient care. Seminars in Dialysis 11:45-48.
- Curtin RB, Kutner N, Oberley E, Sacksteder P. 1997. Renal rehabilitation for the 21st century. Nephrology News & Issues 11(2):59-61.
- Kutner NG. 2015. Disability: Sociological aspects. In JD Wright (ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition, Vol 6. Oxford: Elsevier, pp.472-477.
- Kutner NG, Zhang R. 2013. Social capital, gatekeeping, and access to kidney transplantation. In JJ Kronenfeld (ed.), Social Determinants in Health Disparities and Linkages to Health and Health Care: Research in the Sociology of Health Care ,Vol. 31. Bingley UK: Emerald Press, pp.273-296.
- Kutner NG. 2011. The stigma of deviant physical function. In CD Bryant (ed.), The Handbook of Deviant Behavior. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, pp.559-565.
- Kutner NG. 2010. Kidney disorders-end stage renal disease/dialysis. International Encyclopedia of Rehabilitation. Center for International Rehabilitation Research Information and Exchange (CIRRIE). http://cirrie.buffalo.edu.
- Kutner NG. 2008. Centenarians. In D Carr, R Crosnoe, ME Hughes, & A Pienta (eds.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, Vol. 3. Farmington Hills MI: Gale, pp.70-73.
- Kutner NG. 2007. Health needs, health care and Katrina. In DL Brunsma, DL Overfelt, & JS Picou (eds.), The Sociology of Katrina: Perspectives on a Modern Catastrophe. Lanham MD: Rowman & Littlefield, pp.203-215; 2nd edition, 2010, pp. 251-264.
- Kutner NG. 2006. The sociology of disability. In CD Bryant & DL Peck (eds.), 21st Century Sociology: A Reference Handbook, Vol. 2. Thousand Oaks CA: Sage, Chapter 10.
- Kutner NG. 2003. Paradigm tension in management of chronic disease. In JJ Kronenfeld (ed.), Reorganizing Health Care Delivery Systems: Problems of Managed Care and Other Models of Health Care Delivery : Research in the Sociology of Health Care ,Vol. 21. New York: Elsevier, pp.107-123.
- Kutner NG, Brogan D. 2000. Race, socioeconomic status and risk of a catastrophic health condition in later life. In JJ Kronenfeld (ed.), Health, Illness and Use of Care: The Impact of Social Factors: Research in the Sociology of Health Care, Vol. 18. New York: Elsevier, pp. 151-165.
- Kutner NG, Bliwise DL. 2000. Observed agitation and the phenomenon of "sundowning" among SCU residents. In D Holmes, JA Teresi & M Ory (eds.), Research & Practice in Alzheimer's Disease (Vol. 4). Paris: Serdi, pp. 151-161.