Michael Borich, DPT, PhD
Emory University Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Physical Therapy
Neural Plasticity Research Laboratory
Emory University Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Program in Neuroscience
Emory University & Georgia Institute of Technology Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology Parker H. Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience
- BS, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 2002
- DPT, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 2005
- PhD, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 2010
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow , University of British Columbia, 2013
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Physical Therapy Association
- American Physical Therapy Association - Neurology Section
- American Society for Neurorehabilitation
- Canadian Stroke Network Trainee Association
- International White Matter Study Group
- Organization of Human Brain Mapping
- Society for Neuroscience
- National Institutes of Health Clinical Loan Repayment Awardee, 2014-present
- Society for Neuroscience Chapter Postdoctoral Trainee Travel Award, 2013
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute Rising Star Award, 2013
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Focus on Stroke Research Fellow, 2012
- University of British Columbia Postdoctoral Fellow Travel Award, 2012
- University of Florida Neuromuscular Plasticity Symposium Scholar, 2010
- University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertation Fellow, 2009-10
- University of Minnesota Block Grant Fellow, 2008
- American Physical Therapy Association Mary McMillian Scholarship Recipient, 2005
- University of Minnesota President’s Student Leadership and Service Award Recipient, 2005
- University of Minnesota Program in Physical Therapy Barbara Lee Graham Scholarship Recipient, 2004
- University of Minnesota Department of Physiology Steer-Johnson Award, 2002
Research is focused on understanding and harnessing the plastic capacity of the human nervous system in health and disease in an effort to improve rehabilitation outcomes for individuals with neurologic injury and disease. His research utilizes multimodal neuroimaging and neurostimulation techniques to characterize the brain structural and functional correlates of neural plasticity associated with learning and experience.
Published and Accepted Research Articles
- Neva J, Lakhani B, Brown KE, Wadden KP, Mang CS, Ledwell NHM, Borich MR, Vavasour IM, Laule C, Traboulsee AL, MacKay AL, Boyd LA. Measures of corticospinal excitability are associated with clinical measures of disease state in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Behavioral Brain Research. Accepted: 10/05/15.
- Snow N, Peters S, Borich MR, Shirzad N, Boyd LA. A reliability assessment of constrained spherical deconvolution-based diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in individuals with chronic stroke. J Neurosci Methods. 2015; 257: 109-120. PMID: 26434704
- Borich MR, Brodie SM, Gray WA, Ionta S, Boyd LA. Understanding the role of the primary somatosensory cortex: opportunities for rehabilitation. Neuropsychologia. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia/2015.07.07.
- Borich MR. Visual design: exploring data visualization in neuroimaging. Journal of Humanities in Rehabilitation. 2015. Advance online publication. Retrieved from link.
- Sato S, Bergmann T, Borich MR. Opportunities for concurrent transcranial magnetic stimulation and electroencephalography to characterize cortical activity in stroke. Front Human Neurosci. 2015, 9:250. DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2015.00250.
- Auriat A, Borich MR, Snow NJ, Wadden KP, Boyd LA. Comparing a diffusion tensor and non-tensor approach to white matter fiber tractography in chronic stroke. NeuroImage: Clin. 2015, 7:771-81. DOI: 10.1016/j.nicl.2015.03.007.
- Manogaran P, Vavasour I, Borich MR, Kolind S, Lange A, Rauscher A, Boyd LA, Li D, Traboulsee A. Cortico-spinal tract integrity measured using transcranial magnetic stimulation and magnetic resonance imaging in neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1177/1352458515579441.
- Mang CM, Borich MR, Brodie SM, Brown KE, Snow NJ, Boyd LA. Diffusion imaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation assessment of transcallosal pathways in chronic stroke. Clin Neurophys. 2015. S1388-2457(15)00004-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinph.2014.12.018.
- Borich MR, Neva J, Boyd LA. Evaluation of differences in brain neurophysiology and morphometry associated with hand function in individuals with chronic stroke. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2015, 33(1):31-42. DOI: 10.3233/RNN-140425.
- Chisholm A, Peters S, Borich MR, Boyd LA, Lam T. Short-term cortical plasticity associated with feedback-error learning after locomotor training in an individual with incomplete spinal cord injury. Phys Ther. 2015, 95(2):257-66. DOI: 10.2522/ptj.20130522.
- Ackerley R, Borich MR, Oddo C, Ionta S. Insights and perspectives on sensory-motor integration and rehabilitation. Multisens Res. Submitted: 11/02/15.
- Borich MR, Brodie SM, Lakhani B, Boyd LA. Evaluating interhemispheric cortical responses to transcranial magnetic stimulation in chronic stoke: A TMS-EEG investigation. Neural Plasticity. Submitted: 07/31/15.
- Lakhani B, Borich MR, Jackson JN, Wadden KP, Peters S, Villamayor A, MacKay A, Vavasour M, Rauscher A, Boyd LA. Motor skill acquisition promotes human brain myelin plasticity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Submitted: 07/02/15.
- Zhao E, Vavasour I, Zakeri M, Borich MR, Laule C, Rauscher A, Traboulsee A, Li D, Boyd LA, MacKay A. Corpus callosal myelin water fraction and transcallosal inhibition in multiple sclerosis. J Neurosci. Submitted: 10/28/14.
- Borich MR, Brown KE, Lakhani B, Boyd LA. Applications of encephalography to characterize brain activity: perspectives in stroke. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2015, 39(1):43-51. DOI: 10.1097/NPT.0000000000000072.
- Borich MR, Cheung K, Jones P, Khramova V, Gavrailoff L, Boyd LA, Virji-Babul N. Concussion: current concepts in diagnosis and management. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2013 37(3):133-39.
- Borich MR, Boyd LA. Impaired multidimensional motor sequence learning. In Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning (Ed. Seel N). Springer, 2012.
- Wadden K, Borich M, Boyd L. Motor skill learning and its neurophysiology. In (Eds. Hodges NJ, Willams AM), Skill Acquisition in Sport: Research, Theory and Practice (2nd ed.). London: Routledge Publishers, 2012.